Message from the Superintendent
September 14 Bond Vote Information
At its meeting today, the IKM-Manning Board of Education voted unanimously to call for a bond vote for September 14, 2021.
Voters will now have the opportunity to decide on the $19,950,000 General Obligation Bond. If approved, the district will be able to address a series of facilities needs in both Irwin and Manning.
Also at Tuesday’s meeting, the board heard the results of a community-wide survey, through which 81 percent of respondents indicated that they agreed or strongly agreed that the district should address its most pressing facility needs as soon as possible.
If approved, the bond would have a tax rate impact of an additional $9.88 per month ($0.33/day) on a home with a $100,000 assessed value. For agricultural properties, the impact would be between $2.63 and $3.16 per acre annually, depending on the location of the property. You can learn more about calculating the tax impact by visiting www.ikmmanningbond.org/taximpact.
Below are the projects the district would address if voters approve the bond:
● Facility Improvements:
○ New middle school addition, with new STEM, SPARK, science classrooms, maker spaces, library, activity commons, gym, and locker rooms.
○ Renovation of existing middle school spaces in Manning.
○ Renovations at the high school, including career and technical education, ag and general classrooms, restrooms, and a new media center. Possible renovations in the band, vocal, and art classrooms, as well as the gymnasium and locker rooms ○ Consolidating district administration into one location in Manning.
○ Irwin Elementary would remain open.
○ Improvements at Irwin Elementary, including HVAC improvements, restroom ADA/accessibility renovations, and playground renovations.
○ New roofing over the Middle/High School building.
○ Beginning of a long-term maintenance plan.
○ New bus loop and additional parking on the north side in Manning.
● Safety & Security Improvements:
○ New fire sprinkler system in the existing middle school, as well as the new addition.
○ New fire alarm system to be installed throughout the entire MS/HS building as part of the initial phase.
○ Creation of a single-point secure entryway with controlled access into the MS/HS buildings.
● HVAC & Electrical Improvements:
○ Updated lighting throughout the building.
○ Updated sprinkler system.
○ New sprinkler system with each future project.
○ Restroom renovations in both elementary and MS/HS buildings.
Over the next several weeks, the district and board will hold a series of public meetings to allow community members to learn more about the proposed solution and offer their feedback on priorities. For more information on the facility needs and the question on the ballot, please visit www.ikmmanningbond.org.
We look forward to continuing these important conversations about the future of IKM-Manning schools. As always, thank you for your support and engagement.